The history of the Manor House at Tall Tree Farms goes back to 1940 when William Lybrook, then President of the R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Company, rode a horse to the Yadkin River. The only structure on the property was a large one-room hunting lodge around which the Manor House was subsequently built. William Lybrook also purchased the surrounding 300 acres.
Over the course of thirty years, Lybrook added parts of the house with the last addition being the west wing; that was for Bill and Jean Lybrook (Today, the Lybrook wing is the River View Suite.) The southwest facing patio overlooking the Yadkin River was where reportedly every evening Lybrook sat smoking a cigar and watching the sunset. Lybrook also created a two-acre, stream-fed pond, and stocked it with fish. His kids grew up fishing and swimming in the pond, and it's still called “Bill’s Pond.”
The guesthouse, barns stable and pastures also evolved over time until Tall Tree Farm became a 285 acre working farm. The caretakers, the Hayes, lived in the white house at the top of the hill.
Today, Leonard Hayes is still the caretaker of the farm.
In 1998, after the death of William Lybrook, Jean Lybrook sold the house and the surrounding 20 acres to a builder, and it was he who did many of the modern renovations, including kitchen,
the guesthouse, and the swimming pool.
After another two owners, in 2016, the property (now 40 acres) was purchased by Dr. Jamie Koufman. It is our goal to make the farm available to the public as one of the great lodging destinations in the Piedmont Triad . The Manor House at Tall Tree Farm will open in the summer of 2018.